Saturday, April 4, 2015

What Will They Remember?

I am still focusing on my "students are the center of all we do" issue (which I strongly believe is not the truth).  Recently I have heard from students who have graduated.  Each one of them has talked about something "authentic" we did and how they still remember what they learned from it.  Some of them mentioned singing.  Some of them mentioned trying totopos and tamales.  Others mentioned authentic communicative activities such as the day they all had to come to the park I set up in class and purchase aguas frescas (which I had prepared) and they all had the opportunity to experience an "agua fresca."  How powerful and obviously memorable these activities were.   Most of these activities are no longer permitted.  How sad!  But wait!  Students are permitted to read articles and do worksheets focusing on these topics.  Perhaps ten years from now one of my students or, better yet, several of my students will contact me to let me know that they really loved that worksheet on aguas frescas or that worksheet on tamales and how well they remember the fun they had completing that worksheet.  This has me wondering!  Why hasn't one of those former students mentioned those great worksheets?

La Vieja

No comments:

Post a Comment