Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Still Buried in Papers, Essays and Speaking Assessments!

I cannot believe how many assessments I still have to grade.  It seems that each year there are more and more.  I wonder if that is because I am learning how important it is to assess frequently to check where my students are and to learn what I and they need to do next to move forward. in proficiency. I am truly convinced that numerous formative checks, probes or assessments are essential.  I used to think that I had a good handle on where my students were after a class period.  But now, as I reflect back, I can see that I was a bit naive with that belief.  I had an idea of what I had taught but I only had a general read out on what my students could actually do.  I would often make assumptions based on what I saw them doing during the class or what the stronger students were doing.  When I was basing my assessment on what they were doing during class, I think I was only seeing what they were doing with a lot of support!    When I was basing my assessment of their skills on what I perceived they could do, I actually was seeing only some of the students.  I do not believe I had a true grip on all of them.  Was I seeing the struggling student who was under the radar most of the time?  Was I seeing the middle student who had some of the skills but not all?  Probably not.  I most likely was seeing what the vocal majority could do and naively planning next steps on that.  Now that I understand the difference between a language performance and proficiency, I really can see why I need those frequent formative assessments.  I also am pleased that my students are getting better at using formative assessments to improve their proficiencies!
WHOO!  I am tired just thinking about all that heavy stuff I just wrote.

Catch you mañana.
La Vieja

No comments:

Post a Comment