Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reading

March 31st, 2015

Today, we worked on a few more instruments. We started with the instruments that they already know, and then I added the four instruments of the taínos--relating to our unit on Puerto Rico. We also listened to a traditional song of the taínos, and it included three out of the four instruments. 

Then, I gave the students an introductory reading on Bomba y Plena. I was shocked at how many of the students said they never did reading in Spanish I, and some students really struggled. This tells me that I need to do more interpretive tasks and utilize more authentic texts in class. 

I had a few extra minutes with each class, so we listened to the song "Piragua," (snow cones in Puerto Rico), and I had the students identify the instruments that they heard in the song. We then discussed the two principal instruments. These students are really lacking a music program. 

La vieja has been seriously cracking me up lately. She is totally loca, but so supportive and challenging. What a team!

Cambio y corto,

El joven

No comments:

Post a Comment